Sweet glace fruit adds festive, colourful flair to buttery shortbread cookies.
Serves: 4 dozen cookies
- 2 cups unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1½ cups mixed glace fruit
- Cream together the butter sugar and vanilla until very light and fluffy.
- Gently fold in the flour and salt until the dry ingredients are almost completely incorporated.
- Add the glace fruit and work into a soft dough.
- Form the dough into two 1½ inch wide logs.
- Wrap the dough logs in plastic wrap and chill for a couple of hours. (Note: This dough will be fine in the fridge for several days if you want to bake off the cookies a few at a time as needed.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees when ready to bake the cookies.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut ¼ inch slices of dough from the log and place 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes until the bottom edges are noticeably golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container. These cookies also freeze very well.
- You can also drizzle these with melted white chocolate if you like.
Total time does not reflect chilling time for the dough. Add a couple of extra hours or make the dough a day ahead of baking them.